LaVanila Laboratories The Healthy Deodorant in Vanilla Passion Fruit



Hey Guys!
I've been trying to be more conscious of the things I use on my body and face and have been trying to stick to more natural ingredients in products that I buy. Obviously, I am no where near perfect, but even switching over most of my bath, body and hair care is a start. You have to start some where right?! I figured, may as well switch over the things I can, and limit the things I am not ready to part with (i.e., certain makeup products). At the beginning of March, I ordered LaVanila The Healthy Deodorant in Vanilla Passion Fruit off of Sephora. Before my review, here is some background information on the product:

Description:

"Essential oils of passion fruit mingle with guava and vanilla for an uplifting burst of freshness. This All-Natural, freshly scented deodorant provides superior, long-lasting door protection. Soothing essential oils blend with powerful anti-oxidants and beta glucan technology for daily defence and nourishment. Clinically Tested. Dermatologist Recommended. No Aluminum. No Paraben. No Propylene Glycol. No Harsh Chemicals."

Healthy Difference:
"Traditional deodorants and antiperspirants can contain ingredients including Aluminum, Propylene Glycol and Parabens that could potentially absorb into the delicate underarm area, a gateway to the infection-fighting lymphatic system. 
The Healthy Deodorant is a 100% Healthy solution. Completely free of Harsh Chemicals, it's a safe, effective and luxurious way to fight door. Our health-promoting formula is packed with anti-oxidants, botanicals, polysaccharides and essential oils to not only fight door, but nourish, strengthen and soothe the skin."


Ingredients: Aloe barbadensis leaf juice (Aloe juice, water/aqua), Alpha-Glucan oligosaccharide (Sugar derived), Carrageenan (Seaweed derived), Hydrastis canadensis (Goldenseal) extract, Inulin (Artichoke derived), Lonicera caprifolium (Honeysuckle) flower extract, Lycium barbarum fruit extract (Goji berry), Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea tree) flower/leaf/stem extract, Propanediol (Corn derived), Saccharomyces ferment, Sodium stearate (Coconut derived), Stearyl behenate (Coconut derived), Usnea barbata (Lichen) extract, Valeriana officinalis root extract (Valerian), Yeast beta glucan, Zea mays (Corn) starch

ABSOLUTELY NO:

Mineral Oils: A very inexpensive petroleum product that can clog the pores and reduce the skin's ability to detoxify. Found to promote premature aging and interfere with skin's ability to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. 
Parabens: (methyl, propyl, butyl, ethyl) The most widely used group of chemical preservatives in cosmetics. It is estimated that more than 90% of all cosmetic products contain some form of paraben. A potential skin irritant linked to several long-term health implications. 
Phthalates: A chemical plasticizing element commonly used in fragrance and body care products to extend the longevity of scent on the skin. Research has linked phthalates to health and reproduction complications. 
Propylene Glycol: A petroleum derivative used as a humectant to stop products from drying out. Research at the American Academy of Dermatologists has shown this to be a skin irritant linked with several allergies. 
Silicone: Silicone emollients are occlusive - that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do.) Silicones compose a wide family of synthetic compounds use in formulations for their soft and silky texture. They are not friendly to the environment as they are not biodegradable. 
Sulfates: (Sodium Laureth, Sodium Lauryl, Ammonium Lareth) An inexpensive, harsh detergent used in shower gels, shampoos etc to make them foamier. Linked with skin irritation, hair loss and impaired hair growth according to the American Journal of Toxicology. 
Synthetic Dyes: (Coal tar dyes - FD& C color pigments, colors followed by a number such as blue 1, yellow 6) Used to tint or give colour to personal care and beauty products. Said by some to be carcinogens when ingested or applied to the skin. Also said to cause sensitivity and irritation.


Review: I have always been interested in a natural deodorant. I looked into LUSH deodorants a long time ago, but never liked the way they smelt. I ended up ordering this online without having smelt it first. I rarely, if ever, do this as scent is one of those things I can't really mess with. I heard good things about the Vanilla Coconut (which was sold out) and the Vanilla Passion Fruit (which was, obviously, available) so I ended up ordering Vanilla Passion Fruit. I was nervous that it would have a similar, earthy/natural/unpleasant scent like the LUSH deodorants, but I decided to take the plunge and spend the $18 (yeah, RIDICULOUS price), on the LaVanila. Even if a product works AMAZING, if it smells like crap, literally, I'm not going to smear it all over my body, use it on my face, or put it in my hair. Period. I was a bit nervous, but I like Vanilla scented things and Passion Fruit is one of my favourite juices to consume so I figured, meh, it can't be that bad. Vanilla Passion Fruit ended up smelling really nice, but not something I was overly crazy about. The product doesn't actually smell like Vanilla at all to me, so for those of you who don't actually like Vanilla scented products, still check this out the next time you are at your local Sephora if you are interested in a healthy alternative to your typical aluminum containing deodorant. I was really happy I ended up getting the Vanilla Passion Fruit because on my last trip to my local Sephora, I ended up smelling all the varieties and liked the Passion Fruit scent the best. The LaVanila Healthy Deodorant is available in five scents: Pure Vanilla, Vanilla Coconut, Vanilla Lavender, Vanilla Grapefruit, and Vanilla Passion Fruit. For reference, it takes quite a lot for me to perspire, and typically, I don't sweat/get pit stains or have body odour. Honestly, a lot of the time I forgot to even wear deodorant. I have an active job and you would never notice a difference on the days when I forgot. I guess I am lucky in this department. I find this product works with your own natural body chemistry and masks any odour. This is NOT an antiperspirant so if you have a problem sweating, this probably won't be a good product for you as it won't stop or block perspiration. This product is quite perfect for me if it wasn't for the hefty price tag. The only thing holding me back from repurchasing this is the amount of money one solid costs. As far as application, this product goes on feeling wet and cold and takes several minutes for this odd sensation to go away. I've never felt anything like it. I would suggest waiting for this to soak into your skin before getting dressed, or apply this carefully after getting dressed. Overall, I think this is a great alternative to most deodorants that contain aluminum and gives me adequate protection against odour throughout my demanding workday.

Tips: For best results, apply as often as necessary to DRY, CLEAN skin.

Retail Value: $18 (50 g / 1.7 fl oz) www.sephora.com

Have you tried a natural deodorant?