ELF Studio Line Haul [[PIC HEAVY]]


Last month http://www.eyeslipsface.com was having a 50% off sale on ALL their Studio line products. I wouldn't have known this if it wasn't for Natty's post on her website! Thanks Natty! I've only ever heard of ELF and never have bought ANY of their products so I didn't know what to expect. I knew that it was a really inexpensive brand which I've seen at my local Dollarama all the time so I never expected much from their products considering the prices are ridiculously cheap. However, so far I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality and packaging of most of their products. I have yet to test out everything I purchased, as I did end up picking up a lot of product, but so far I think it's a great affordable brand! Here are my first impressions of ELF! Let me know if there is any product in particular you would like a more detailed review on. I will be doing a comparison of some ELF products to NARS for those of you who are curious.

The goods


EYES


Minus the flat top powder brush, these are all EYE products. I have yet to test out the brush so I have no comment on that. My eyelash curler works great and it comes with an extra rubber piece. The eyelashes weren't 50% off since they are not part of the Studio Line, but they are only $1 each which is PHENOMENAL! I usually get Ardell lashes which are $4.87 at Walmart and occasionally I will splurge on a pair of MAC lashes which are $16.50! I bought 5 pairs of Dramatic Lashes and 2 pairs of Natural. The Dramatic lashes remind me of Ardell 105s (which are one of the pairs I repurchase often). Still, my favourite pair of lashes are Ardell 111s, but I do like ELF Dramatic Lashes. For only $1, these are a GREAT alternative! Do not use the glue in these kits or any other lash kit for that matter. ONLY use Duo Lash Adhesive if you are to use glue on your lash line. It's a surgical grade adhesive and adheres and washes with ease.

I didn't pick up any of their single eyeshadows as none of the colours really appealed to me. I did pick up three cream liners: midnight, coffee and black. At first swatch I wasn't impressed with these at all (I used the brushes that came with each product). They went on VERY light and streaky and did not have the pigmentation I was after. I have only used the brown cream liner so far, "coffee" and I did like it on my eye. The line was much more pigmented using a MAC 206 angled brush and the product wore all day without fading. I probably wouldn't buy the black cream liner as I find other brands have much better black cream liner then ELF. However, I don't have other colours of cream liner and the ELF ones are good enough for me to expand my collection without breaking my budget.

The pencil on the far right is what I was looking forward to the most out of my order. It is ELFs Eyebrow Lifter & Filler. One end has an eyebrow pencil in medium brown and the other end has a highlighter/"lifter" in a pinkish nude shade. I've always wanted to try the Anastasia matte highlight pencil in camille, but couldn't justify spending the money on it. I think this is a perfect alternative for it as it really highlights and opens up the arch of my brow area and also camouflages any stray hairs that I have yet to pluck. The other end, the brow filler side, I think is garbage. The product is way to waxy and hard to control because th e pencil is so thick. I may try using a MAC 206 to grab product on the end and then fill in my brows that way to see if it helps, but using the product right from the pencil...yuck. It's worth mentioning that I really like how on one end it comes with its very own sharpener! Another plus! I would repurchase this product again just for the "lifter" side!

Swatches from left to right: lifter shade, medium brown brow shade, black cream liner, midnight cream liner, coffee cream liner, natural lip liner

LIPS


Most of my lip products I have yet to really test out. I ended up picking up a Lip Liner and Blending Brush in "Natural", "Heartbreaker" Lip Stain, "Red Carpet" Lip Stain, "Peaceful Pink" Conditioning Lip Balm SPF 15, and "Mellow Melon" Conditioning Lip Balm SPF15. I have used the Lip Balms a couple times each and I think they are a great product. Very creamy, thick, moisturizing... the only thing I don't like is that the packaging is so bulky on these and the lids are a bid hard to screw off.

ELF Conditioning Lip Balm SPF 15 in "Mellow Melon"

ELF Conditioning Lip Balm SPF 15 in "Peaceful Pink"

FACE
As far as FACE products, I picked up 3 powder blushes; "Peachy Keen", "Blushing Rose", "Gotta Glow", a Cream Blush in "Flirt", and a bronzer in "Warm". So far I really like the blushes and bronzer (gorgeous colours) and the textures are quite finely milled, surprisingly. I have yet to try the cream blush.

From Left to Right: "Blushing Rose", "Peachy Keen", "Gotta Glow"

Elf "Warm" Bronzer - finger swirled in all 4 shades

ELF Cream Blush in "Flirt" - a mousse like texture

More face products: Contouring Blush and Bronzer Powder, Makeup Remover Cleansing Cloths, High Definition Powder.

I've been using the Cleansing Cloths everyday now and I'm almost done with the package. They are very thin sheets compared to my Kirkland Wipes and they don't have as much moisture but they do take off my makeup, especially my mascara, very well! I would not purchase these again as I can't stand the smell. They smell like hospital to me and all my memories of being in a hospital, so far in life, have never been good. It's definitely a clean smell, but just not a clean smell that I'm a fan of. If the smell didn't bother me, these wipes would be great!

I can't stand the packaging on the ELF High Definition Powder. It was REALLY messy the first time I opened it because powder got into the screw grooves of the cap and leaked out when I opened it (even with the face puff still in the jar). It comes with a puff, which I don't use I just use a brush. The product is VERY silky and blends in effortlessly. It is a transparent setting powder so it won't add any colour. I've used this a few times to set my face and it worked very well. I would repurchase this product again if I ever run out.

I can't swatch the contouring blush and bronzer powder, as it was a stalking stuffer for a friend, but I did take a picture of it beside my NARS "Orgasm" blush and "Laguna" bronzer for comparison. It's definitely not an exact dupe, clearly the blushes aren't the same, but it is definitely a much more affordable option if you like, but can't afford the NARS duo. I didn't get myself one of these since I already have the NARS versions so it would just collect dust.

I placed the order on November 24th and it came December 14th. Usually I receive packages much faster from the US. Shipping is usually closer to the 2 week mark as opposed to 3, but I'm not complaining since 2-3 is typically the average.

Have you tried anything by ELF? What are your hits and misses?